TRAVEL GUIDE: 48 HOURS IN LUCERNE

“I AM A PASSIONATE TRAVELER, AND FROM THE TIME I WAS A CHILD, TRAVEL INFORMED ME AS MUCH AS MY FORMAL EDUCATION” – DAVID ROCKEFELLER

Lucerne is the absolute storybook image of a Swiss town with it’s colourful buildings and bridges surrounded by snow-capped mountains. I was here for 2 days wandering the cobble stone lanes and visiting some of the sites. I am excited to explore more of Switzerland in my future travels!

MT. PILATUS

Start the day off by boarding the world’s steepest cog railway and venture above the clouds to witness the spectacular mountains ranges and views of the city below from Mt. Pilatus.

616561_10151198427818268_941005392_o.jpg

288775_10151198433053268_1226195390_o.jpg

410785_10151198433668268_1909862776_o.jpg

LION MONUMENT

Designed as a memorial for the mercenary soldiers who lost their lives while serving during the French Revolution, the Lion Monument is a giant dying lion carved out of a wall of sandstone rock above a pond at the east end of town.

192054_10151198434383268_1330943514_o.jpg

KAPELLBRUCKE (WOODEN CHAPEL BRIDGE)

Spanning diagonally across the Reuss River, Kapellbrücke is the oldest wooden covered bridge in Europe. It serves as the city’s symbol and as one of Switzerland’s main tourist attractions.

410962_10151198526908268_1092425442_o

202459_10151198527648268_1837976117_o

256326_10151198528143268_858284399_o.jpg

LAKE LUCERNE

No visit to Lucerne is quite complete without a cruise on one of Europe’s most striking lakes, where stunning scenes of the Swiss Alps reflect back across the water. Even in overcast weather, the views and landscape were remarkable!

411559_10151198524633268_1196909107_o.jpg

291382_10151198525253268_4794153_o.jpg

WALKING TOUR

Lucerne is a city that should be explored on foot. There are lots of boutique stores and bakery’s selling delicious pastries and Swiss chocolates along the cobble streets and quaint alleys. Check online or with your hotel/hostel as to whether there are any free walking tours running whilst you’re visiting.

Swiss chocolate and/or cheese fondue is a must have experience! Most authentic style restaurants will offer either of the two, so don’t fill up on Swiss chocolates before you have fondue!

Switzerland is also famous for the Swiss Army Knife, Watches and Cuckoo Clocks; be sure to pick up a little something to remember your time here.

331500_10151198530093268_1378186255_o.jpg

202552_10151198531938268_1614318628_o.jpg

For all my fellow adventurers, Lucerne is a great city for hiking and outdoor activities. There’s also a huge variety of galleries and museums for visitors, so grab a city map at your hotel or visitors center and get exploring!

Be sure to follow my adventures on Instagram & Twitter!

27 Comments Add yours

1. Yes, come back and we’ll do some hiking 🙂

1. Yes please! Norway as well 🙂

2. trippintwins says:

Great pics! Switzerland is amazing!

3. ATS says:

Thank you Cassie for visiting my page and liking my “Flying High” poem. I’m glad you enjoyed it. Looks like you’re an adventurous type, so am I. Enjoy your traveling! 😉

1. you’re very welcome! 🙂

4. OneBusyMama says:

A place you’ve been that I don’t have to be jealous of because I’ve been there too! Loved Lucerne!!! So beautiful and amazing! I can’t wait to go back!

1. Switzerland is so beautiful! I really want to explore it more 😊😊

1. OneBusyMama says:

We took some train up into the mountains and stayed at a great rustic hotel with a beautiful view of the Matterhorn!!! I recommend it!

Liked by 1 person

2. That does sound incredible! I’ll do a bit of research 🙂 thanks!

5. sarac91 says:

Thank you for visiting my blog. I hope my Switzerland post was helpful. I would highly recommend the trip to the Schilthorn as it was incredible!

Liked by 1 person

1. I can’t wait to get back to Switzerland. One of the areas I really want to explore. Maybe even compete in a marathon there if I’m lucky! 🙂

1. sarac91 says:

I hope you do get there, and wow competing in a marathon sounds amazing!

Liked by 1 person

2. There are some incredible races in Switzerland!! Will definitely be looking into it 🙂

6. Yoly says:

Beautiful pics. My favorite was the lion.😉

1. One of my favourites too! 🙂

7. Always a Foreigner says:

What a quaint and adorable town! I love the lake and the dramatic mountains behind it. Gorgeous!

8. Beautiful photos here.

1. Thank you! Lucerne makes it easy to take good photos 🙂

9. Monique says:

Yum, I need some cheese fondue in my life!

Liked by 1 person

1. Switzerland is the place to go!

10. Reblogged this on Travel Inspire Connect and commented:
    A city that is so easy to fall in love with… some of my fondest travel memories.

Liked by 1 person

1. You’re very welcome! Thanks for bring back such fond memories of Luzern and surrounding environs. The quaint agricultural villages, green valleys and gorgeous mountains in the area are spectacular. I really need to get back! 🙄

11. Coral Waight says:

I passed through Lucerne in ’89. It was grey and rainy but still lovely. And those chocolates. Oh my God!

Liked by 1 person

1. There are no words I can summon right now that can describe how amazing Swiss chocolate is!