SAN FRANCISCO TRAVEL BUCKET LIST!

“TRAVEL IS MORE THAN THE SEEING OF SIGHTS; IT IS A CHANGE THAT GOES ON, DEEP AND PERMANENT, IN THE IDEAS OF LIVING.” – MIRIAM BEARD

San Francisco is a city that encapsulates you and I can understand why those who visit sometimes never leave. The city is so vibrant and full of character and it doesn’t take long to learn your way around. I’ve composed a list of all the must-have experiences one must have when they visit!

1. ALCATRAZ

Notorious prison & once home to Al Capone, now a museum with audio tour, accessible by ferry. Be sure to book ahead of your stay in San Francisco – it does book out!

2. RIDE A CABLE CAR

The world’s last manually operated cable car system and a San Francisco icon. Just jump on board and see where you end up!

3. VISIT THE SEA LIONS AT PIER 39

Albeit smelly, these cute Sea Lions never fail to be hanging around making a heck of noise down by Pier 39. There’s also iconic eateries, shops and entertainment close by.

DSCN1333

4. CHOWDER AT FISHERMAN’S WHARF

Clam Chowder is all the rage in San Francisco, and Fisherman’s Wharf is known for its seafood, so if you’re down for some wicked chowder in a sourdough bread bowl, this is your place. For my vegan friends, don’t sweat it! Corn chowder is a thing and it’s damn good!

5. SHOPPING IN UNION SQUARE

One of the largest collections of department stores, boutiques, gift shops, art galleries, and beauty salons in the United States, Union Square is a major tourist destination and definitely worth a visit.

6. STROLL DOWN LOMBARD STREET

Famous for it’s steep, one-block section with eight hairpin turns, Lombard Street is claimed as the most ‘crooked street’ in the world and a must visit when in San Francisco.

IMG_2597

7. CHECK OUT THE CITY FROM COIT TOWER

Lillian Coit Memorial Tower, is a 64 meter (210 foot) tower built in 1933. Standing atop Telegraph Hill, Coit Tower offers panoramic views over San Francisco starting from $8USD.

8. LUNCH IN CHINATOWN

Being the oldest Chinatown in North America and second largest outside Asia, Chinatown in San Francisco it not just a great place for food, but also a historical and magnificent tourist destination. Wander through the streets and you’ll be sure to find something to suit your taste buds.

9. HIRE A BIKE AND RIDE TO GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE

One the day I visited Alcatraz, I hired a bike on my return and rode up to the Golden Gate Bridge and it was by far my most favourite day in San Francisco. It’s one of the only ways (besides running) that I’d recommend you see it. There is a toll for drivers who cross the bridge, but absolutely free for people to walk and ride across. If you only have time for a few things whilst you’re in San Francisco, make this one of them!

DSCN1448

10. PEOPLE WATCH AT MISSION DOLORES PARK

This ‘leave no trace’ park, often abbreviated to Dolores Park, has increasingly become one of San Francisco’s hot-spots on a sunny day. It’s the perfect place to enjoy a picnic lunch, lay out a rug, read a book, relax and enjoy the sunshine.

11. STROLL ALONG BAKER BEACH AT SUNSET

A public beach on the peninsular of San Francisco roughly 800 meters long, begins just south of the Golden Gate Bridge and offers a stunning vantage point for San Francisco’s much loved bridge. The perfect way to end a day!

12. VISIT THE WALT DISNEY FAMILY MUSEUM

For all my Disney lovers, the Walt Disney Family Museum is a museum that features the life and legacy of Walt Disney. With the newest technology, historic materials, and artifacts bring Disney’s achievements to life. The museum includes interactive galleries with early drawings, animation, movies, music, listening stations, and a 12-foot diameter model of Disneyland.

DSCN1402.JPG

Be sure to follow my adventures on Instagram & Twitter!

23 Comments Add yours

1. livetravelreadgina says:

Oh God, these pictures only make me want to go to the USA right NOW as we speak hahah. Looks really nice!

1. As I was writing up this post I was feeling the exact same way! haha

2. OneBusyMama says:

Sooo jealous!!!! I live in the USA and I’ve never been to California and its first on my list of states to visit.

Liked by 1 person

1. I absolutely loved California but I’ve only seen about 10% of what it has to offer! So I look forward to heading back there again 🙂

1. OneBusyMama says:

I look forward to reading about it

3. len3travel says:

Wow! You have just sold San Fran to me!

Liked by 1 person

1. We stayed near Fisherman’s Wharf and it was close to everything! Great people, great shopping, great atmosphere. It is similar in some ways to Sydney, I think that’s why I loved it so much! 🙂

4. vkrivas says:

San Francisco is such a wonderful city. Your pictures make me want to go back!!

Liked by 1 person

1. I’d love to go back again!

5. jeff6845 says:

SF is a great part of the bay area, but still only a part of it. To really see SF, one need to venture out an see the bay area. The downfall is that two weeks probably won’t cut it.

Liked by 1 person

1. Would LOVE to spend more time exploring SF. Planning on spending more time there next summer and hiring a car and eventually making the journey from LA to SF and eventually into Vancouver 🙂

6. This is a great list, especially the bike riding across the GG bridge! We also go to SF to visit the museums in the Golden Gate Park (CA Academy of Science and the de Young museum) and take advantage of their ‘closed to cars Sundays.’ Makes for a relaxing bike ride without the traffic. The Ferry Building is also a fun place to get a local nibble. Anyway, your list is spot on, and I hope you get a chance to visit again! 🙂

1. Oh awesome! Thanks so much for sharing 🙂

7. Audrey says:

Great list! Can’t wait to visit SF in August. The last I was there was more than 7 years ago.

1. You’re going to have an amazing time Audrey! Safe travels. All the best 🙂

Liked by 1 person

8. Hey Cassie! You have such a great blog! I’ve nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award! =)

1. Oh wow! Thanks so much Paige. I really appreciate it 🙂

9. Bellewether says:

Great tips! Seeing the sea lions at Pier 39 and riding a bike down to Golden Gate are definitely two of the highlights of my trip to San Francisco. I covered 4/12 in one day so if I go back there I’ll definitely try to do the rest 🙂

1. Glad to hear! All the best for you future travels 🙂

10. I definitely want to go to San Francisco & try to fulfill this bucket list!
    —I truly enjoy following you & your adventures, so much so, that I’ve nominated you for an award — https://nowboardingweb.wordpress.com/2017/07/27/the-versatile-blogger-award/

1. Oh wow! Thank you so much for the nomination 🙂

11. Bellewether says:

Hi there! Seems like you’re stealing the hearts of your readers with ease – I’ve nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger award. You can see the nomination here: https://bellewether.me/2017/08/10/sunshine-blogger-award-nomination/

Congrats 🙂