6 REASONS TO CZECH OUT PRAGUE

“NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST”

The stunning capital city of the Czech Republic has become one of the highlights of Europe not only because of its obvious architectural history and beauty, but also its music, fantastic foodie culture, shopping, panoramic views, and did I mention best beer in the world?

I recommend hiring a bike or joining a guided tour to explore this magnificent city to its full potential. There are so many hidden spots and treasures to experience and you can see them all in a shorter time by bike – the city is basically flat, so no arduous uphill climbs I promise!

You’ll see for yourself how easy it is to fall in love with this city. The captivating architecture helps you get a feel for how significant the history of Prague has been in shaping what it is today. I have included the few main spots that you’ll need to ‘Czech out’ whilst you’re visiting (see what I did there?).

tumblr_n1vrrkleic1shqllxo5_1280

Charles Bridge

The famous historic Charles Bridge crosses the Vtlava River in Prague. This iconic structure originally named ‘The Stone Bridge’ was completed in the 15th century and is a stunning piece of architecture connecting Prague Castle to the Old Town. It is decorated with magnificent statues including the statue of St. John of Nepomuk. Touching the statue of St. John is a Prague ritual – it is supposed to bring good luck and ensure you return to Prague again. There is also a cross with five stars on the left of the bridge – here you are supposed to make a wish!

prague_17.jpgPhoto by Stacey Fenton, Sunsets and Suitcases

Prague Castle

The largest ancient castle in the world occupies an area in the capital city of the Czech Republic. Dating from the 9th century, Prague Castle has been a seat of power for kings, emperors and is the official residence and office for the president. Most of the area is open to tourists and includes Saint Vitus Cathedral, Basilica of Saint George and houses several museums including the National Gallery. Not only is the famous complex absolutely beautiful, the view of the city from Prague Castle is breath taking.

Day 8 (18).JPG
Old Town Square

This historic square in the Old Town Quarter of Prague will make you feel as if you have gone back in time. The square includes many architectural designs including the famous Gothic Church of Our Lady before Tyn. Prague Orloj is a medieval astronomical clock located at the Old Town Hall and has animated figures that set in motion every hour on the hour (be sure to watch it!). The tower at the Old Town Hall offers a panoramic view of Old Town and there is always a great selection of food and markets to enjoy as you wander around.

prague_09.jpgPhoto by Stacey Fenton, Sunsets and Suitcases

Lennon Wall

My favourite spot in Prague is the John Lennon Wall. Since the 1980’s the once normal wall has been decorated with John Lennon inspired graffiti and famous lyrics to classic Beatles songs. The wall is ever changing as visitors continue to add to the mural. It’s a great place to stop for coffee as the John Lennon Pub is located quite close by and there is usually a busker or two hanging out the front offering free entertainment.

Day 9 (16).JPG

The ‘Dancing House’

The Dancing House, or Fred and Ginger as it is nicknamed after the famous dancers Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers; the house looks like two dancers! HOW CUTE!?

Letná

Overlooking Prague historic center and Vltava River just besides Prague Castle is Letná. This park offers stunning views of Prague and also a great spot to picnic or relax in the afternoon after a busy day site-seeing.

Day 8 (17).JPG

Josefov

Also known as the Jewish Quarter, was formerly the Jewish ghetto of Prague.Most of quarter has been demolished,  what you can see today includes six synagogues, the old cemetery, and the Old Jewish Town Hall – now all part of the Jewish Museum in Prague.

Be sure to follow my adventures on my Instagram & Twitter!!

45 Comments Add yours

1. H.Andalib says:

Prague is definitely a city I will be czeching out soon, thanks for the inspiration 🙂

Liked by 2 people

2. RoarLoud says:

I love the pun!! Looks like a great city!

Liked by 2 people

3. Yes it does look such a beautiful city.Louise

Liked by 1 person

4. The dancing house is in Prague? I had no idea!! Can’t wait to visit the city.

Liked by 2 people

1. It sure is!! I had no idea either until I was looking right at it. Can’t get over how adorable it is!! 🙂

1. Len Kagami says:

I saw it during the day, but i did not know that it is also beautiful at night 🙂

2. Me too! I need to go back and see it at night 🙂

5. Active Curls says:

Love you pictures! Beautiful post 🙂

P.S. I would like to just add that we are not considered as a part of the Eastern Europe. We are right in the middle, so we are the Central Europe. Some Czech people can get really offended by being considered as a part of the Eastern Europe. 🙂

Keep up the great work xx

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh wow really!!?? It’s so common for Prague to be included in tours considered Eastern Europe tours! My first time in Prague I was on a tour where we visited Berlin, Budapest, Poland, Vienna and Prague and it was called ‘The Eastern Road’ tour. Thanks for the info! I will correct it 🙂

6. Rosie says:

I loved Prague, even though I was only there briefly it quickly became one of my favourite European cities! I made a special detour to the Dancing House before catching my bus to Brno – I have a bit of a thing for visiting interestingly shaped buildings on my trips! Would also highly recommend the view from one of the Charles Bridge towers (I went up the one on the castle side of the river). John Lennon wall was likewise one of my favourite parts of Prague 🙂

1. Thanks for the recommendation Rosie 🙂

7. Jolene says:

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this cheat list! I will only be there for 2 days next year so will definitely try to Czech out those spots!

1. You’re welcome Jolene! I hope you have a great time in Prague!! 🙂

8. yasabugeo says:

Our dream is to go one to this beautiful place…

1. I hope you get there!! 🙂

9. Love the title of your post… I broke out in a big smile, reading that with my morning coffee! It goes well with some of the fun, quirky things you show us like the dancing house and the John Lenon Wall. Thanks for taking us along on your journey.

1. Prague is quite the quirky city! Glad it brought you a smile 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks Jadi, though I can’t take credit for them. I unfortunately lost a lot of my photos from my trip and had to source these online 🙂

10. JohnRH says:

Despite a couple of visits to this great city I see I’ve missed a few things. I must go back. Here is my mash-up: https://fairplay740.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/timberwolves-europe-2013-extra-days-prague-17-may/

1. JohnRH says:

P.S. The Art Nouveau is my favorite.

1. It’s beautiful!! 🙂

2. Looks great John!! Thank you 🙂

11. Audrey says:

Thanks for the sharing. Love your photos. Guess I have another item to my bucket list. 😉

12. Len Kagami says:

Amazing photos 😉

13. girlandworld says:

Prague is such a beautiful city and almost every third bollywood movie is Shot there

1. Oh really? That’s an interesting fact! 🙂

14. Prague is one of my favorite cities in Europe, I love it for the amazing food options, the jazz bars and the operas:)

1. Me too!! Would love to go back and spend more time there 🙂

15. Prague is one of my favorite cities in Europe, I love it for the warm and cosy food options, the jazz clubs and the operas 🙂

1. Me too!! Would love to go back and spend more time there 🙂

16. Thank you for dropping by my blog. I am hitting Prague for NY’s eve and hope to see these gorgeous landmarks in person. Nice title for the post 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you 🙂 Have an amazing time in Prague!!

17. Akshat Jain says:

Lovely Pics and description. Thanks for sharing!!

18. livevigorously says:

Thanks for the great virtual tour and for the like on my post about my stomping grounds. Prague is on my list to “czech out” as you say. (Clever!)

Liked by 1 person

1. Awesome! All the best with your Prague travels!! 🙂 Hopefully you get to visit soon.

19. Georgie AL says:

Prague is a definite favourite!

1. Can’t wait to return one day 🙂

20. I need to remember these for my trip! xx

Liked by 1 person

1. How exciting! Hope you have an amazing time!